The Bachelor of Science programme aims at providing the students with an adequate background of methods and general scientific contents, as well as with the knowledge of the main tools needed to practice the job of engineer. For this, a solid background in fundamental scientific disciplines, such as mathematics and physics, is required together with specific skills in the traditional engineering subjects, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electrical machines, and in the information technology subjects, i.e. computer science, electronics, telecommunications, and control.
Graduates have all the necessary skills to design or manage systems resulting from the integration of highly different technologies. This flexibility, both in the attitude and in the competences, is a significant asset of the Automation Engineer, in view of the wide range of possible applications, of the continuous and rapid evolution of technology and of the dynamics of the job market.
The Master of Science programme is characterized by a strong scientific and technological nature. The goal is to train experts who understand and contribute to the technological evolution, using the results of the research for the design of innovative automation systems in inherently multidisciplinary contexts and in highly competitive industries.
The Master of Science graduate should then:
- have gained a good grasp of the mathematical tools necessary for the analysis and design of complex automation systems;
- have gained a thorough understanding of the technologies and processes typical of some of the major industrial sectors where automation plays an increasingly important role;
- have developed the ability to explore and evaluate the offer and market trends in the field of instrumentation and system components, in view of innovative applications;
- have gained familiarity with the most advanced techniques for the identification, analysis, simulation, optimization, and control of dynamical systems of all kinds, as well as the ability to merge them in an effective and creative manner, tailored to the specific characteristics of the problems to be solved;
- have grown aptitude for teamwork and the ability to embrace the principles and methods of organization.